Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Common Core Persuasive Writing Lesson

I love the book Should Their Be Zoos? by Tony Stead. I've written about my lessons using this book in previous posts. . Recently I found a writing lesson which is aligned to the common core that I want to share with you. The students write an opinion piece and support their point of view with reasons from the text Should Their Be Zoos,and The Swazi Eleven by Kelly Boland.(A copy of this article is given in the packed from the link below). They also use facts learned from  a video clip from a Phoenix news station about an endangered animal which has thrived at a local zoo. I posted a copy of the video I found on Youtube below. Here is the link to the NYC Dept. of Education website:
http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/C03E352F-F0EE-4152-8CBE-76F1D62864F5/0/NYCDOEG5Literacy_TCRWP_Final.pdf


Common Core Standards addressed:RI.5.1 Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing
inferences from the text.
RI.5.2: Determine two or more main ideas of a text and explain how they are supported by key details;
summarize the text.
RI.5.10: By the end of the year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies,
science, and technical texts, at the high end of the grades 4–5 text complexity band independently and
proficiently.
W.5.1: Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and
information.

4 comments:

  1. If you are looking for Common Core aligned lessons you should check out www.solaro.com. They have online, accessible content for teachers and students that is 100% aligned to the new Common Core curriculum. It takes out a lot of prep time for teachers! It also features real-time reporting so you can create assignments and the system will mark them for you! Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book too! We always use it to teach persuasive writing. What I love about it is that is provides multiples articles; each with their own point of view (opinions). Our school has a big book of this and a set of 6 available for checkout from our library for guided reading groups.

    I love how you list various books for teaching many reading skills.

    -Susan
    3rd Grade Grapevine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know where I could find this book? I've looked everywhere!

      Delete
  3. I think it is out of print. Did you check your local library? Christine

    ReplyDelete